Cargo insurance protects your shipments. It also protects your reputation and your bottom line.
Frustrated by unpaid freight claims?
Unpredictable events like damage, loss and delay to your truck, air, and ocean freight can hurt your bottom line and your reputation. Especially if you are relying on declared value or the carrier’s liability to cover your loss. Declaring value is fine for some shippers but if you want real peace of mind and fewer headaches, choose cargo insurance and get a quote today.
Protect your company and reputation with a cargo insurance policy through UPS Capital.
- Customizable policies protect shipments and warehoused goods
- Coverage up to the invoice value of your goods
- Worldwide coverage regardless of carrier or shipping mode
- Coverage for concealed damage, expediting expenses, general average losses and more
- Extended coverage for freight-collect and 3rd party shipments
- Reimbursement for perishable and time-sensitive goods
- Quick online claims processing
Choose the cargo insurance option that’s right for you.
All Shipment Coverage
Get multi-modal, multi-carrier protection in a policy that’s structured for your unique business. We’ll work with you on everything from modes and lanes to packaging solutions, so you can be sure you’re covered.
If you need occasional protection for your goods, one-time coverage is available. This option is ideal for single-trip shipments, items that may not be covered under your existing policy and shipments that may exceed your existing policy limits of liability.
Still unsure of what type of coverage you need? Find the best option for your business with this short quiz.
Knowing the differences between an all-risk cargo
insurance policy, declared value and carrier liability can
take the frustration out of transportation claims.
Cargo Insurance through UPS Capital
- Claim settlement based on real valuation (Ex. invoice value + freight costs)
- Consistent and reliable protection for all carriers, all modes
- Coverage for all risks1
- No need to prove fault or liability on the part of the carrier
- Coverage is door-to-door, regardless of how many carriers are used
- 90 days to uncover concealed damage and still file a claim2
- Coverage for additional expenses incurred to expedite a replacement shipment due to loss or damage
- Claims commonly resolved within 7–10 business days
Declared Value/Carrier Liability
- Claim settlement based on weight of the shipment, package count or invoice value (if declared and agreed to by the carrier for a higher freight rate)
- You must know the terms of service for each carrier and mode, including the liability offered, exemptions and exceptions
- Carrier may be exempt of liability for acts of God, strikes, civil commotion and other risks covered by insurance
- Carrier may use multiple defenses to deny claims, and without establishing carrier liability there is no recovery
- A claim may need to be filed against each carrier individually, depending upon how the shipment is structured
- Once bill of lading is signed, without exception, claims may be complicated and subject to onerous time frames
- No coverage liability for expediting expenses
- Claims against carriers can be lengthy, often requiring expensive and protracted litigation
Learn more about the big differences between declared value, carrier liability and real cargo insurance.
We’ve cut our losses, we’re saving money and the amount of back-office work is dramatically reduced. The best part is we can send replacement rugs to our customers immediately.Read the case study
90% of shippers routinely use carrier liability/declared value. Virtually none of them understand how it works.Read the research
I never thought I’d have a truck and a ship burst into flames. But sometimes it’s just out of your control. Without cargo insurance, it would have been a complete loss. We’d have been out nearly a million dollars.Read the case study
Who says insurance and financial solutions have to be boring?
From cargo insurance to alternative financing, we’ve got customer stories and insights that won’t put you to sleep.
Subscribe to receive UPS Capital email communications
To stay on top of the latest insights, news and announcements, enter your contact information and select your areas of interest. *Required fields.
By subscribing, you consent to receive special offers and news from UPS and its affiliates. You may unsubscribe at any time.
For more information on our privacy practices, please consult the UPS Capital and UPS Privacy Notices available on upscapital.com.
1. Insurance coverage exclusions apply.
2. 90 days provided standard in CargoEdge® policies offered through UPS Capital Insurance Agency, Inc.
Got a claim?
File directly through UPS Capital Online.